How to salvage Arue after the ranger nerf?

Any interesting build ideas for Arue now that her favored enemy options have been significantly gimped? Her class isn’t as interesting anymore and it’s not like we can turn her into a demonslayer outside of modding.

She now has 8-10 gimped ranger levels. What are some good suggestions to turn her into a damage dealer again?

What nerf are you talking about?

I don’t think removing a bunch of demons from the favored enemy list makes her wasted. She’s still a Ranger with an insane point buy and nice utility spells, like Ekundayo from Kingmaker but with more juiced stats and no pet.

Instant enemy fixes it. Just keep picking demons of magic to get the full bonus from instant enemy on whoever you need.

3 Likes

how do I salvage this 75 point buy character?

9 Likes

Who has special succubus extras, level 4 casting, and pretty good established feats and skills. Literally unplayable :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think on my second playing I will use the respec mod and make her a sorceress.

75 point buy character with nearly 10 levels used on something out of your control. A mercenary going demon slayer would be a better Ranger than her in this game regardless of her point buy.

THE PARAGRAPH BELOW CONTAINS SLIGHT SPOILERS BE CAREFUL. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SPOILER TAG ON THESE FORUMS

Edit: Also from what I understand. If you want to choose a certain path for Arue. You will be stuck with 15 gimped ranger levels. Before the Favored Enemy nerf, her ranger class was fine. Now she has to rely on a very specific short lasting single target spell to come even close to what she used to be.

THE PARAGRAPH ABOVE CONTAINS SLIGHT SPOILERS BE CAREFUL. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SPOILER TAG ON THESE FORUMS

Watches my level 15 pure ranger Arue on Core difficulty dropping swaths of multiple enemies in a single attack routine without ever casting Instant Enemy

Yeah man this character sucks totally unplayable.

2 Likes

Her archetype is not as gimped as you think. Slightly weaker compared to Demonslayer. A bit weaker than base Ranger, because an Animal Companion would probably be a stronger choice. But pets are not as good in WotR as they were in Kingmaker, because both the enemies and your party members get Mythic progression, while the pet gets nothing, unless you spend an actual Mythic ability to get Mythical Beast, and even that it’s a meager stat increase. Hunter’s Bond is much stronger compared to just getting the pet. Would Aru be stronger as a different Ranger archetype? Sure, but her bloated stats more than make up for that. And I have Abundant Casting on her, which means I have 5 or 6 casts of Instant Enemy per day, so I have the highest Favored Enemy bonus possible in every single fight that matters.

2 Likes

She’s not gimped lol. Open your mind brother.

Straight Ranger is great. Give her the Quarry auto-Sicken gloves. But this:

is her best ability.

Keep up Hurricane and Aspect of Falcon and Quarry + Instant first round after using Bond precombat.

1 Like

She would not be stronger as a different Ranger archetype. Stealth and Perception per lvl/2 is tremendously valuable. And she can even cover Trickery.

1 Like

I was evaluating combat capabilities only. In my party she has the highest rank in none of Stealth, Perception or Trickery anyway.

1 Like

Yeah my Archeologist Trickster Playthrough I had her duplicated so didn’t use her. She gets those skill naturally higher than anyone else tho so good idea to take her along so someone else doesn’t have to burn feats.

And she does more than fine in combat as well.

1 Like

I’ve also warmed up to her archetype considerably. It’s just that the pet is such an iconic feature that I don’t really find Ranger archetypes without it attractive. Aru is more than fine as an Espionage Expert, but I would probably never play one as an MC.

1 Like

I don’t need to be convinced to use Arue in my party. She’s coming in regardless. I’m just a bit lost as to how to build her. She’s completely outdamaged by my wenduag currently, who doesn’t need to rely on limited buffs to do so.

Camellia does trickery in my party. I’d rather use that skill point on something else for Arue. The stealth and perception are are nice though.

She builds herself - she already has archery combat style. Grab the other two types of demons and underground / abyss terrain. Hurricane bow, aspect of falcon, sense vitals, instant enemy, and animal growth for someone’s pet. Throw her Delamere’s bow and the sicken quarry gloves and she just pew pew pews. A bit less persistent raw damage than Lann in my experience but can still gib things pretty well.

1 Like

For me it’s Cam until Aru. Too much overlap there.

You’re priced into Aspect of Falcon, Hurricane, Vitals, and Instant Enemy along with Quarry Gloves (auto-Sicken is sick!) and Bonding before Combat.

Combine all that with Cleaving Shot and Abundant Casting and Delamere’s Bow and you’ll be more than good.

Once Greybor hits 14 he can sub in for Aru but I have to have someone on the Big Game Gloves. I took him to Blackwater for his Adamantine Weapon.

Everyone is out damaged by Wenduag once you figure out that Weapon Training Throwing and Axes stack and both get the Dueling Gloves bonus.

2 Likes