Dhampir's Resist Level Drain ability not working

Dhampir’s Resist Level Drain ability not working at all, despite there’s no graphic tell and no usual penalty, level drain still applies to Dhampirs, and when the level drain reaches character level, the dhampir will die.
Here’s combat log where my character dies, nothing is attacking him, no damage taken, full health, dies to level drain.

here’s Daeran restore my invisible negative levels. 9 levels restored, 10 scrolls used note last scroll didn’t do anything, because all negative levels are gone.

Character sheet not showing level drain, but it’s actually 1 level from death.

1 Like

Resist Level Drain (Ex): A dhampir takes no penalties from energy drain effects, though he can still be killed if he accrues more negative levels then he has Hit Dice. After 24 hours, any negative levels a dhampir takes are removed without the need for an additional saving throw.

The description needs to be specified. However, a Dhampir can still get killed from Negative Levels, provided they are all accumulated within 24 hours. This is working as intended, its just that the Racial Traits description is plain wrong. They are not immune to Negative Levels, they only resist its effects.

The Trait is correctly called “Resist Level Drain” though. Its a Resistance, not an Immunity.

1 Like

OK, thanks. the game really does a poor job telling this to the players though.
on a second note, I think my some of my negative levels are from scrolls of raise dead, which were used way before Drezen, I don’t think the game removes negative levels from dhampirs.

1 Like

The Raise Dead spell bestows 2x permanent Negative Levels. These do not have the usual 24 hours until you can Save roll against them or, in case of the Dhampir, remove them without a Save roll.

The Resurrection spell bestows only 1x permanent Negative Level.

The Restoration spell removes all temporary / 24 hours Negative Levels OR - it doesnt do both - removes 1x permanent Negative Level. After casting Raise Dead you need to cast 2x Restoration on that character to get rid of its 2x permanent Negative Levels from Raise Dead.

The Greater Restoration spell removes all temporary / 24 hours Negative Levels AND all permanent Negative Levels. If you acrued enough permanent Negative Levels, casting Greater Restoration is preferred.

There should be a tooltip behind the icon of your acrued Negative Levels that should tell you what their timers are, either something <24 hours or “Permanent”.

The system at hand is hard to understand. I needed to look through the rulebook to list the above infos, they are not very obvious. IMO, casting Resurrection over Raise Dead should just return the char with full HP instead of 1 HP and/or Id only use temporary/24 hours Negative Levels for really everything that causes them.

For the topic at hand, the Dhampir cant remove permanent Negative Levels. Getting your chars - ncluding Dhampirs - killed often and raising them really cripples you, much more than most enemy abilities could.

For instance, the 9th Level Wizard spell Energy Drain doesnt immediately bestow permanent Negative Levels. You need to fail against the Save roll against the temporary/24 hours Negative Levels to get them permanently. Permanent Negative Levels are the worst possible ailment you can get.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! :grinning:
The game should really make some of these info clear, at least update the resist level drain description, clearing up some of the confusion.

1 Like

It explicity says that you still die how does it do a poor job at explaining it?If you don’t read the entire description thats your fault.

It explicity says that you still die how does it do a poor job at explaining it?If you don’t read the entire description thats your fault.

the in game text says “A dhampir is immune to energy drain effects”. and each time I’m
affected by level drain, the combat log says “I’m immune to negative levels”, Unlike other races, negative levels don’t even display in character sheet, exactly how is this my fault?

1 Like

Youre not to blame. Dhampirs acrue Negative Levels like everyone else so they should be displayed for starters.

Resist Energy Drain does not make a Dhampir immune to Negative Levels, regardless of temporary or permanent ones.

The thread at hand has 2x valid bug reports. Its quite easy to fix the description of Resist Energy Drain; not sure how much it takes to display Negative Levels icons for Dhampirs though.