Any chance to rebalance magic in crusader battles?

In general crusader battles are a lot of fun but imo damage spells are way too op,
Be it my general or the enemies, spamming lightning or firebolts, which one shots whole stacks, takes away a lot of fun. Tbh I don’t see any reason to make a buffer/melee focused general since he becomes obsolet in the beginning of chapter 3.
I would love to see the damaged reduced or giving us counter abilities to bring more depth to the fights.

2 Likes

The problem is not in magic, but in the organization of the army.

Magic has one huge advantage.
It can be transferred between chapters.

If you were left with the units you built in the previous chapters, no one would use magic, because the passive buffs of your units would play a big role, as you would have gigantic armies. But because you start with practically nothing, magic is a big advantage.

Honestly, I don’t see a way to balance this. (Well, at least not a simple way.)

But I guess some battles could be in “zones of dead magic”.
This would force the player to have at least two types of generals, because a pure mage would be completely useless there.

Sounds like a good start, but I kinda did have multiple generals in my playthrough, basically to fetch armies from town or kill off enemy generals with trash armies or coming from the other side of the map of my main. Thus another step would be to make the AI a tad more mobile on the map forcing you to spread your forces around.
The perfect change would be reworking the entire thing, though :stuck_out_tongue:

As I said, there is no simple fix.
Not if you don’t want to completely overhaul the whole system.
And something like that is very unlikely.